I finally tried painting fabric and made some simple little dolls. Last night I laid out a few scraps of muslin and the non-toxic acrylic paints I always use for kids stuff. (See my favorite tools page if you’d like.) I kept the paint pretty watered down so it soaked into the fabric. It was fun experimenting with different designs. At the end, I decided to make a tiny worm shape, because baby E likes small things. (You can barely see it gripped in her little hand in the photo.) Then this morning I cut some fabric for the backs of the dolls and sewed them together and stuffed them. It was super fast.
It might be cool to make a big sofa pillow this way. Or even paint a t-shirt. I’ll have to see how it washes over time. I remember some of you having good tips on fabric painting. Feel free to comment if you have ideas!