Mother’s Day Craft – Standing Paper Flowers

Here is a project I did for Junior Magazine, and I thought it would make a fun craft or gift for Mother’s Day. They are standing paper flowers. The idea was inspired by a paper ornament from Ann Wiseman’s book, Making Things (One of my favorite kids craft books.)

The paper pedal circles slide on and off without the need for glue or tape, which makes them a great building toy that can be put together in many color variations. They take only minutes to make, and stand by themselves, so you can use them for a decoration just about anywhere.

There are instructions below if you want to try them out. And as always, feel free to upload photos of your versions on the Made by Joel Facebook Page!

Materials:
paper
scissors
clear tape
wire. (I used 18″ floral stem wire, which you can find in the floral section of craft stores. That way you don’t need to cut the wire. It’s already a perfect length.)
Instructions:
1- Cut out 6 circles using colorful pieces of paper. (My circles were about 3 inches in diameter, but you may make whatever size you’d like. The circles do not need to be perfect.)
2 – Take your piece of stem wire and using your fingers, bend a circle (about 4 inches in diameter) at one end for the base. Make the wire flat against the bottom through the middle of the circle.
3 – Then bend it straight up at the middle to make the stem of the flower stand upright.
4 – Fold 5 of the paper circles in half, then cut a narrow notch into the side of each fold.
5 – Take the remaining paper circle, and attach it to the top of the wire stem with one piece of clear tape. This will be the center of the flower.
6 – Now align the notch of each folded circle and simply slide them one by one onto the center circle. Do any last little bends on the base so the flower will stand up firmly. Done!

You can buy supplies for this project below! (Made by Joel Shop is powered by The Saturday Market Project)

Click on the image below if you’d like to read the article from Junior Magazine.

1. Hazel Terry
    April 14, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Perfect, easy to do and very effective. Love them.

2. I Live in an Antbed
    April 15, 2011 at 12:09 am

Everything you create is so universally engaging. I believe creativity reflects the glory of the Lord. These are joyful! :)

3. allenaim photography and design
    April 15, 2011 at 1:55 am

so SO awesome! Beautifully simple.

4. Lori Henriques
    April 15, 2011 at 6:01 am

Your craft is brilliant, your photos are joyful, and boy their layout design is really wonderful. Thanks for all the photos of it!

5. fraufertig
    April 15, 2011 at 8:15 am

You are just amazing! I love the smplicity of your ideas. Everythink is done and prepaired so fast and the effect is so great. Thank you so much for sharing.

fraufertig

6. Jo
    April 15, 2011 at 10:11 am

I love it!
    we will do it!
    thanks :)

7. Poddle
    April 15, 2011 at 11:30 am

I'm new to your blog, but you've already proven inspirational several times, both on the toy and the painting front (more info on what I/we've done with that inspiration is on my blog if you're interested). :)

This idea is a real goodie. I read this post last night and this morning I got all the kids at the local toddler group that I co-run making these. Went down a storm! Thank you!

8. La Tendedera
    April 15, 2011 at 5:36 pm

This is so simple yet very lovely. I love the imperfect perfection of children's cut circles!

9. Un'idea nelle mani
    April 15, 2011 at 8:08 pm

This is poetry and you are fabulous!

April 15, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Thank you everyone!

La Tendedera - Yes! I love my daughter's paper flower! So much character, and texture. Any child that can use scissors at all, will be able to do this craft.

Poddle - Very cool! Just checked out your blog. I love the multi-purpose lion doll, and also glad that you're painting! It's always fun to get back into something like that! Thanks for the kind mentions.

11. Áurea López
    April 16, 2011 at 6:12 am

That original idea!. I'm happy for your publications in journals and to recognize your work. I love the purity that permeates everything you do. How do you do to have the beautiful house?, I have a couple of rooms that are, "the room of the lions", one is my studio and another is the office with the computer. They are charming places for my son. Tell me that you also have a "room of the lions, " please ....

12. Rescued Goods
    April 17, 2011 at 1:39 am

These are awesome! Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.
    -Vanessa

13. Jessica
    April 17, 2011 at 3:40 am

Love these ideas, and have already made several things using your ideas as inspiration! My daughters are stoked! Question: I, too, live in Portland, and am wondering if there is a local craft store you could recommend? (I live in inner se and really cannot handle going out to 82nd for craft supplies! ;D)

14. Carolyn
    April 17, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Joel, you have made another rainy Sunday afternoon fun! Your projects keep my little one in place for more than 5 minutes! That's a huge deal :). Thank you.

15. C&S
    April 19, 2011 at 7:27 pm

I tried!
    I like very much, I am going to make it for the Mother's Day at school! Thank you for this great idea!

16. "a rare thing"
    April 19, 2011 at 8:57 pm

So cute!

April 20, 2011 at 2:44 am

Thanks everyone!

Áurea López - Ha! Yes, we definitely have a "room of the lions." I'll start calling it that now too!

Jessica - Not really. If you find one though, please let me know!!

C&S - Wow, it looks wonderful!!!

18. jet
    April 21, 2011 at 12:09 pm

wooow this is smart, thank you for the sharing and you're great tute!!! Love them;-D

19. lastèdesign illustrazioni e scarabocchi
    April 23, 2011 at 8:44 am

very cute!! love this!

20. May 4, 2011 at 8:14 am

[...] make some simple standing paper flowers that take just minutes. Make them with old magazines, envelops or old [...]

21. May 4, 2011 at 8:21 am

This is so simple and cute. I featured it on our blog at Materials for the Arts http://mfta.wordpress.com/2011/05/04/mothers-day-gift-ideas/

22. May 5, 2011 at 8:39 am

[...] des mères approche et pour celles et ceux qui seraient à court d’idées originales, voici de bien jolies fleurs faciles à fabriquer crées par [...]

23. May 10, 2011 at 4:22 am

We made these for the grandmas and great grandma for mothers day and they were a huge hit! Thanks for the tutorial and inspiration.

24. May 20, 2011 at 10:38 pm

[...] where it’s due: This craft idea came from the Made by Joel website. Thank you, Joel. Share World Music on [...]

25. August 9, 2011 at 2:13 am

Nice! Very easy and interesting for my little sister to learn. Will do this! Thanks for sharing!

26. September 8, 2011 at 10:26 am

[...] to write a craft/art/toy book, too. And, more recently, I used her paper ornament idea to make the standing paper flowers. My sister Lori is a huge fan, too, so she came over as well. We had an amazing time discussing [...]

27. September 9, 2011 at 3:15 am

Great tutorial. Love it, thanks for sharing.

28. July 1, 2012 at 1:06 pm

[...] Du papier canson coloré, du papier canson noir. Du fil de cuivre récupéré dans les restes des travaux en cours. Des ciseaux, de la colle. Et une idée de « Made by Joel ». [...]

29. April 4, 2013 at 12:38 am

[...] en MadebyJoel Visto en Holamama Visto en BetterHome Visto en DecoraimaginareciclaVisto en [...]

30. April 23, 2013 at 10:08 am

[...] Follow this Link to the Tutorial [...]

31. May 6, 2013 at 3:09 am

[...] bunch of these standing paper flowers, made by [...]

32. May 6, 2013 at 6:24 am

Hi, there! I added this craft to my DIY Mother's Day Gift blog post today {http://seefritz.com/2013/05/homemade-mothers-day-gifts/}. I love the idea! Thanks for the inspiration.

1. May 6, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Great post Lauren! Thanks for including me. Always nice to get more ideas for Mother's Day gifts that the kids can really be involved in. Snack box is brilliant!

33. May 20, 2013 at 2:50 am

I have to thank you for the efforts you have put in penning this website. I am hoping to see the same high-grade blog posts by you in the future as well. In fact, your creative writing abilities has motivated me to get my very own website now ;)

34. May 20, 2013 at 2:51 am

Hi, I do believe this is a great blog. I stumbledupon it ;) I am going to revisit once again since I book-marked it. Money and freedom is the best way to change, may you be rich and continue to guide others.

35. May 11, 2014 at 1:33 am

[…] DIY para peques: Porque los enanos también quieren participar siempre en este tipo de regalos, Made by Joel nos cuenta  con todo detalle cómo podemos ayudarles a fabricar estas sencillas flores que se […]