Paper Kite

There were some warm, windy days last week and many sticks were blowing off the trees into the yard.  We had the spur of the moment idea to try making a kite.  So we gathered a few sticks, cut some thick paper, got out the tape and string and in ten minutes we had a kite!  I was really surprised to see that it actually flew.  The best part was the kids’ excitement; the building and especially the flying.  Their favorite thing to do was chase after me while I ran with the kite.  Look at those faces!

1. Simply Mel
    November 8, 2010 at 7:21 am

My little crumb is going to LOVE this fun project!

2. Diāna
    November 8, 2010 at 7:21 am

Joel, you're a doll! I always always always wanted to make a kite for my kids but thought you had to have a degree in ingeneering, at the very least, to accomplish such a complicated feast. But this seems easy! I guess all the other kite-builders just make it sound so incredibly hard so that they would have all the more credit for it. ;)

3. Diāna
    November 8, 2010 at 7:22 am

Oh my God, I've misspelt engineering, I am ashamed.

4. Paul & Paula
    November 8, 2010 at 9:22 am

haha, the last picture is very cool... I love to see my kids all excited and happy as well...
    the eyes are shining and the mouth is wide with a smile!
    cool project, simple and quick... and Amsterdam is always windy...!

5. anitaNUC:
    November 8, 2010 at 9:51 am

compliment! love it!!

6. Frédérique
    November 8, 2010 at 11:41 am

Fun!
    Can't believe you're just wearing t-shirts :-o

7. naomi
    November 8, 2010 at 11:45 am

That last photo is fantastic, as is the kite!

8. jfidz
    November 8, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Have you ever tried the indoor kite?
    I once did this with a class of 4 year olds - went down a storm.

9. ayearabovetheshop
    November 8, 2010 at 5:41 pm

It is lovely! I like the tail feathers best, they show the impromtu/spur of the moment process. These projects are often the best aren't they?
    Miriam

10. dani
    November 8, 2010 at 6:58 pm

Fantastic! So Fun!

Kisses from Brazil

11. Anonymous
    November 8, 2010 at 7:16 pm

love the joy in those kids faces...wonderful

12. bicocacolors
    November 9, 2010 at 10:51 am

great idea!
    great blog!
    i like a lot!!!
    greetings from Spain

November 9, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Thanks everybody! Yes, definitely try this out! It's a lot easier than I was expecting.

jfidz - That link is great! Looks like those would fly really well! Must try that out. Thanks!

14. From Malaysia
    November 10, 2010 at 6:38 am

Hi
    This might be a silly question, but how do you get the kite up in the air. I tried it with my kids and we could not get it up. Not that it really mattered to them, they just ran around with it. Just in future I would like to fly a kite.

thanks

November 10, 2010 at 6:12 pm

Running with the kite was my kids' favorite part too. Maybe it wasn't windy enough when you flew yours. It needs to be a very windy day.

16. Tagan Engel
    November 11, 2010 at 2:44 am

HI Joel, great kite! on a recent windy day my 6 year old son and I made a kite with an old bandanna, some thick floral wire and tape. It was one of those "mommy I need to make this right now" projects, so not the best materials, but it worked for a bit. He wanted a really big kite, but I think your smaller version would have been a better idea though. I wanted to let you know about this cool site we found recently. It is all about creating stuff out of recycled materials and tape, which is a daily event in our house. This guy took it to a new level, and I find it inspiring. Your creations are certainly more artistic, but thought you'd find some inspiration here none the less. looledo.com congrats on all your success!

November 11, 2010 at 9:54 pm

Hi Tagan. I know what you mean about those "make it now" projects. That's the best way to get stuff done sometimes!

The looledo link looks awesome! Some very cool ideas on there. I've added it to my bookmarks. Thanks!!!

18. Picnic under the orange tree
    November 15, 2010 at 11:21 am

WOW! That looks great and like a lot of fun! My kids and I also love to play with kites as well!

19. Casa e Cose
    November 21, 2010 at 10:16 pm

I want to make a kite! That is great! Where has my head been stuck? I mean I live right infront of the beach! Excellent things you do and its almost all recycled. Super!

20. June 30, 2011 at 1:47 am

this is a very good idea, thanks :)

21. August 17, 2011 at 1:17 am

[...] kis a szélbe és futás! A többi fotó is csodálatos, nézzétek meg a gyerkőcök arcát a Made by Joel [...]

22. August 21, 2011 at 9:50 pm

[...] Paper Kite – Make your own kite with some sticks, paper, and tape! [...]

23. August 31, 2011 at 11:05 am

Hi! I have mentioned this post here: http://samuserensemble.canalblog.com/archives/2011/08/22/21754739.html

24. April 21, 2013 at 3:58 am

I would like to see more posts like this!.. Great blog btw! Reisadvies Subscribed..

25. May 30, 2013 at 4:36 am

[...] Qui sul suo sito è spiegato passo passo come fare. [...]

26. September 12, 2013 at 8:50 pm

[...] having much success with flying the triforce kite, I decided to go back to basics. I used another blog called made by joel, who’s purpose is to promote crafts that are “accessible and [...]

27. March 26, 2014 at 11:34 am