Zipper Pouch

I’ve never made anything with a zipper, so I thought I’d give it a try.  I just did a very simple pouch and then drew a cat on it with a fabric pen.  I like zippers!

1. Mammagiramondo.
    April 16, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Too cute!!

2. Jenny Hillman
    April 16, 2010 at 9:27 pm

Is that just a cotton duck/canvas? I have to admit, I've yet to venture into zipper territory, but you made it seem all the more friendly. And the kids could add their own drawing/name/embroidery to the front!
    Cute!!!
    Jenny

3. Lia
    April 16, 2010 at 11:12 pm

I like what you did with the zipper.

4. Flying Squirrel
    April 16, 2010 at 11:23 pm

I like the design! Joel, your sense of good, bold, modern design...so awesome! I love the black-white-yellow.

5. tea with lucy
    April 16, 2010 at 11:43 pm

Finally overcoming my fear of zippers (and button holes) has opened up a whole new world!

Have just discovered your site. Love your work.

April 17, 2010 at 12:46 am

Thanks everybody!

Jenny - it's actually a natural denim that I found. I like it a lot. Pretty much feels like canvas, but a bit softer.

7. Karumen
    April 17, 2010 at 1:43 am

love how the yellow zipper works on a simple design, amazing!

8. Guusje
    April 17, 2010 at 5:05 am

I try to avoid zippers my whole life! ;-)
    lovely work, I would love to screen print my tiger on one of those.....

9. She Can't Decide
    April 17, 2010 at 6:13 pm

so simple, so cute! meow..

10. peglud
    April 18, 2010 at 5:01 am

Zippers - the greatest invention. We learned how to sew them in to a skirt in the 8th grade. (I'm 61 yo). They can be a little tricky - but once you've done one, you can do 'em forever. What is more fun than a pouch to put favorite things in?

11. sam
    April 18, 2010 at 6:12 pm

Loving the yellow zip.

12. Jo
    April 19, 2010 at 12:18 am

I just made my first zippy pouch as well!!!
    although i have to say i'm still scared of zippers.... :P

13. sam
    April 19, 2010 at 5:15 pm

This might be for a later project then.

14. Becky
    April 19, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Congratulations on your first zipper! It's a very cool little pouch and I love how the cat looks like he'd be right at home in "Where the Wild Things Are."

April 19, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Thanks!

Sam - Ha, yeah I'll definitely need some more practice with zippers before I try a project like that. Nice!

Becky - Actually I have been reading that book to Jack and Tess a lot lately. Maybe I was inspired by it!

Tutorial: Also, this is the tutorial I loosely followed when making my pouch. Bolt is an awesome fabric store if you're ever in the Portland area.

16. Priscila
    April 21, 2010 at 12:39 am

Love this! You always have the best things here. I came by to ask if you could include me in the "featured in section" in your blog!

17. Caroline
    April 21, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Hi there - I've been reading for awhile now. You have such a nice blog, and I'm really motivated to actually follow through with my ideas after seeing the things that you've made.

I had to make a pouch like this after seeing this one. It's such a simple idea, but the bright zipper really packs a punch! Thanks for the inspiration.

18. Maryvonne
    April 24, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Hi Joel, just found your blog and really love it!
    A pouch like that with a simple cord on both sides of the top(when you close the seam) and the kids can hang them on their neck, mine sure love that!

April 25, 2010 at 4:23 am

Thanks!

Caroline - Yeah, zippers are not bad at all! I checked out your bag too. Very cool! I like the red!

Maryvonne - I still haven't tried the cord closure yet. Nice idea to make the cord long enough to carry like a purse. I'll have to give that a go next!