May Day Flower Baskets

I had vague memories of weaving paper baskets for May Day as a kid, but when I started making these, the memories came flooding back. I love it when that happens. Making them is easy. Take a square piece of paper (I used some old magazine covers), and fold it into 9 equal parts (just draw a tic-tac-toe game and fold on the lines).  Cut out the corners and then cut slits up the sides, leaving about 1/2 inch uncut at the tops (see photo below). Then cut strips of paper, and weave them in. When the weaving is done, use tape or glue to attach a handle. Then fill with flowers and give them to a friend or neighbor!

They were so excited about picking flowers in our yard and arranging them in the baskets, that they wanted to keep them. So we’ll have to make some more by May 1st to give away.

If you end up making just one basket for your child, then you could take a photo of them and use it as a May Day gift card.

1. Miss Sews-it-all
    April 23, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Holy cow, I remember these baskets, too! We made them in school - thanks so much for posting the tutorial. I'd love to make these with my tipsy toddler, too!

Speaking of great projects, have you checked out www.WeAllSew.com yet? It's a project dedicated to connecting crafters on the web with each other and with great sewing and crafting inspiration!

2. Lia
    April 23, 2010 at 7:05 pm

Yes those bring back memories. It is cool knowing that your kids will have those memories now too. Giving May baskets is an awesome tradition, thanks for passing it on.

3. Lilou the Frog
    April 23, 2010 at 9:21 pm

I just discovered your blog and spent very good time to review all articles until the beginning ! I even printed your black and white drawings to stick in my son's room :) You're incredibly creative and I will keep following you from now ! BTW your kids are very cute :)

April 23, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Thanks everybody!

I'll have to check out that WeAllSew website. cool!

And Thanks Lilou. Glad you found my blog.

5. helena
    April 23, 2010 at 10:09 pm

What a nice blog you have here!
    You have a portuguese name, don't you?
    Sorry, my english is terrible!

1. November 23, 2012 at 11:01 pm

1. Your child is preciously aadlobre. What a heartbreaker!2. Your painted easter basket is stinking awesome.3. I am not as addicted to the internet (although mildly) as my husband is. (Not so much for blogs as for fantasy sports.) We didn't have internet access on our honeymoon, and he couldn't stand it so he bought a Hawaii Public Library card and drove 10 minutes to the library every morning to check up on his teams. Don't even get me started about the travesty of not being able to set his bracket for the NCAA tourney at the end of that week...!

April 23, 2010 at 10:21 pm

Thanks. Yes my name is Portuguese. It goes way back. There's Portuguese and Jamaican on my fathers side.

7. Stephanie
    April 23, 2010 at 11:40 pm

So adorable! Not only the flower baskets but your kids are super cute as well.

8. Kirsty
    April 24, 2010 at 5:15 am

Joel you are just so clever. I love reading your blog. Thank you.

9. Ornella
    April 24, 2010 at 6:39 am

Hi Joel!
    I Loooove your blog!!! Everymorning is the first thing I check :)
    sorry but I didn't get the fold a square into 9 equal parts.

Greetings from Australia!

10. REread
    April 24, 2010 at 12:26 pm

very cute ... we use to weave little mats and baskets from coconut palm fronds, similar to these

April 24, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Thanks!

Ornella - Sorry, you're right, that is hard to understand. Basically just make a big tic-tac-toe game on the paper and fold along the lines. Another way to say it, would be to fold in thirds, then rotate, and fold in thirds again. I'll change the directions in the post too! Thanks!

12. floortje
    April 24, 2010 at 7:56 pm

love it. looks easy to diy

13. Miggy
    April 25, 2010 at 3:04 am

I too remember May Day...but it must have been a small town thing because we always did it in elementary school when I lived in Nebraska, then when we moved to the big city {Denver} no one had ever heard of it! Sad. Way to bring it back Joel...way to bring it back.

April 25, 2010 at 4:55 am

Thanks!

Miggy - Yeah, I grew up in a small town too, and that's where we did this. It just sort of popped back into my head this spring. We have so many flowers in the yard. I think it will be a fun tradition for Jack and Tess too!

15. pam
    April 25, 2010 at 5:34 am

So easy, so sweet and perfect for old magazines! I definitely will be making these! Thank you.

16. Oontje
    April 25, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Hi Joel,

we tried to make the basket and it worked out fine! A little smaller than yours, maybe, but big enough to hold numerous dandelions and daisies. The kids loved it!
    I put a link to your blog in mine, and some pictures of the basket (not as nice as yours, though).
    Love from Belgium!

17. Lucille
    April 25, 2010 at 5:53 pm

I'd forgotten how to make these. I'm making some to hold a friend's birthday gifts. Thank you. You are a fount of ideas.

18. Nadia
    April 26, 2010 at 9:21 pm

I think this idea is GREAT!!!! I hope I can make one!!!

19. CHILDHOOD MAGIC
    April 27, 2010 at 7:51 pm

hello! what an awesome blog you have here! I was pointed in your direction because we have both made May Day Baskets! You baskets really turned out beautiful! Here is a link to my basket post

April 27, 2010 at 8:51 pm

Thanks everybody! I love seeing all of your baskets! Fun isn't it?

CHILDHOOD MAGIC - Great palm tree baskets! Nice weaving skills. I love it. Also, I totally love the stick sculpture your son made on the beach. Way cool! We're going to the oregon coast this weekend. I'll have to try something like that.

21. Meeks
    April 28, 2010 at 7:11 am

I have come over from crafty crow. Thanks for posting the instructions, I can't wait to try them with my kids!!

22. mayaluna
    April 28, 2010 at 2:30 pm

These are wonderful, Joel! I'm so happy to discovered your blog!

23. jen
    April 29, 2010 at 6:57 pm

look at those flowers in your very own garden, what a dream come true!!!

24. Larissa
    November 18, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Lovely. I just fell in love.

25. May 26, 2011 at 8:18 pm

[...] Flower Baskets – Weave a simple paper flower basket to gather flowers in your yard. [...]

26. June 2, 2011 at 9:14 am

I love this idea. Memories came back very easily. .... This is the perfect little basket for my little one, who is going to have her 4th birthday next week...thank you for reminding me how easy it is to prepaire these little baskets. :)

27. June 7, 2011 at 4:09 am

[...] May Day Flower Baskets | Made by Joel Apr 23, 2010 … 24 Responses to May Day Flower Baskets … Giving May baskets is an awesome tradition, … I put a link to your blog in mine, and some pictures of the basket (not as nice as yours, … [...]

28. kuku
    June 27, 2011 at 10:21 pm

tell some thing unique pl,that is easy,prety n stable

29. August 30, 2011 at 7:59 am

[...] son loves stripy pants as much as I like stripy socks. You can see in this old post that he’s been sporting these trousers for almost a year and a half. After finally wearing a [...]

30. le monde d'Is
    January 18, 2013 at 8:23 am

moi qui suis une adepte de la récup', j'adore !!!... j'ai déjà fait des tissages mais, bizarrement, je ne les avais jamais utilisés pour ce genre de choses : voilà qui m'ouvre de nouveaux horizons !... merci pour ça... et pour le reste...

31. March 29, 2013 at 9:41 am

[...] Weave your own simple baskets. Tutorial here. [...]

32. Helen
    April 24, 2013 at 11:31 pm

These look gorgeous, i will be doing this tomorrow with my sooooooo crafty 5 year old. she'll love it. thank you :)

1. April 25, 2013 at 9:29 am

Great! Yes, should be perfect for a 5 year old!