Guest Post | Embroidery Gifts for Kids

Hey Everybody! I’m Joel’s younger sister and I love to tackle big fiber arts projects, but now that I have two kids my time for crafting has diminished quite a bit. My new favorite craft is embroidery because it is quick, versatile and satisfying. I was inspired by photos of your embroidery based on Joel’s drawings and I’ve always loved Joel’s goat coloring sheet, so I was excited to give it a try.

I created a barrette holder for my daughter using the goat drawing for inspiration. I used a combination of embroidery and wool felt cut-outs to create the picture. Once completed, I used it to make a small pillow and attached three ribbons in the middle that hang down a foot or so to attach the barrettes.

For my next projects, I moved onto embellishing t-shirts. I love making these for my daughter and they make cute little gifts.

Using a washable fabric pen, I traced the embroidery pattern onto a pre-washed t-shirt, to avoid any shrinking after the design was in place. Then I put the t-shirt, along with a piece of tear away fabric stabilizer, into the embroidery hoop. Next, I picked my colors and embroidered away! Some of the smaller patterns are easily done in just a few hours. When the embroidery was all done I tore off the fabric stabilizer. Last, I put the shirt through the wash to get the marker off and voila! Super cute, fun and quick. Happy stitching!

(If you’re new to embroidery and want to give it a try, check out the guest post tutorial by Wendi Gratz: Embroidery How-To For Beginners Of All Ages | Made by Joel)

1. November 1, 2012 at 9:14 am

every one is darling. i just love that goat!

2. November 1, 2012 at 10:06 am

Ohhhh! So happy you had some inspiration from us!!!! :) You're right: embroidery is versatile and full of satisfactions! :)

1. November 1, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Thanks! Hi Pepe! Yes, I definitely showed her your embroidery. So cool! Nice to hear from you! Joel

3. November 1, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Darling, Andra! I can't wait to see it in real life. <3 The goat is precious and I LOVE the flowers.

4. November 2, 2012 at 3:54 am

Looks lovely! :)

5. November 8, 2012 at 2:19 am

These are just adorable! I wouldn't think of using a goat as my subject - but she is adorable! :)

6. November 28, 2012 at 7:44 am

Love the embroidery! The picture of you and your daughter is lovely too. It's been many years since I've seen you . . . but I have fond memories of our conversations over books and all the knitting that occurred at book club here in Seattle. Hope you are doing just great. I have a little boy now, and get to be home, full time with him right now. It's pretty fun.

1. Andra
      January 16, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Thank you! How wonderful that you have a son and you are taking time to be with him at home. I loved that book club! We always had excellent conversation and food. Great to hear from you. (c:

7. tatiana renom
    October 4, 2013 at 10:10 am

adore esa cabrita!

8. October 25, 2013 at 1:01 am

I like this design its very creative and also I like that goat very much.

9. Francesca Roncoroni
    December 11, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Joel, you are a real genious! My daughter Violante, 6 years old, is absolutely crazy for your nativity scene! it was fan to paint it together and to cut it, and finally she has a Nativity that can touch and move as she like - in fact we have a precious nativity that is forbidden to children! Thank you so much! Violante and mum Francesca from Italy

1. December 11, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Thanks for the kind note Francesca! I'm glad your daughter has her own nativity set now. Cool!