Travel Size Paper City Paris!

It seems like we’re always in the need of more kids activities for restaurants and travel. Shortly after I made Paper City Paris, I wondered what a miniature version would look like. Finally, this week I had the time to try it out. It was really fun redesigning and simplifying the folds and structures. For example, the people in this set are so small that I just made them into single strips of paper that bend in half. It ends up being even easier to make than the original. It’s also quite handy to have the entire set print out on only one sheet of paper. Great for larger groups of crafting kids. And when you’re all done, you can fit all of Paris into a mint tin, so it can be stowed in a pocket or bag.

Happy traveling, and amusez-vous bien!

If you enjoy an activity and would like to support my continuing effort in creating art projects for our kids at home and in schools around the world, a PayPal tip donation would be awesome.

Thanks!

Click on the template below, then print. (I printed on matte photo paper, but any paper works great.)

1. LaTeaDah
    January 5, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Very nice!

2. Paula
    January 5, 2012 at 11:20 pm

You're great. And: I`m in love with your book. Greatz from germany, P.

3. January 5, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Oh how cute are these!!! My kids so want to make a Cape Town printable like this… Lots of features, lots of fun!!! You are an inspiration!!!

4. Aly S
    January 6, 2012 at 6:37 am

This a fabulous idea! Any plans to miniaturize the other Paper City sets?

1. January 6, 2012 at 6:55 am

Thanks everybody! Aly S - I definitely might. If people like this idea, then I'll probably do more sooner. Travel size Dressy Cats? hmmmm. It's kind of fun, shrinking things!

5. January 6, 2012 at 7:25 am

the mint tin is a brilliant idea! my daughter loves her dressy cats and now i'll make her an extra little set for on-the-go. awesomeness!

6. Dawn
    January 6, 2012 at 9:20 am

Adorable - I shall pass your url on!

7. zan
    January 6, 2012 at 9:44 am

I love the travel size paper paris. More important printed it out today and the kids love it even more than the original. They tend to like small things though. This is perfect I would love to see the other paper city sets miniaturized! (Mini helicopter? or Mini road trip would be great when you are on the road!) You are awesome Thank you for sharing with all of us!!!!!

8. Chris
    January 6, 2012 at 10:02 am

WoW! Thank You, What a Brilliant Idea!

9. Susan
    January 6, 2012 at 10:28 am

My 8 1/2 y.o. granddaughter LOVES miniature anything. I gave her lots of art stuff for Christmas, i.e. crayons, paints, colored pencils, etc., and I KNOW she will love this...and using a mint tin for storage is a brilliant idea! I'm even going to print out a set for myself and my 33 y.o. daughter, who is ALSO another mini-lover! Thanks so much for this set. Can't wait to see what is next!

10. January 6, 2012 at 11:30 am

Using a mint tin to store this is such a great idea! I've pinned it.

11. Marie-Hélène
    January 6, 2012 at 11:36 am

Merci beaucoup pour le clin d'oeil.

12. Nisha
    January 6, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Thank you! ... they are so cute

13. January 6, 2012 at 6:29 pm

[...] Travel Size Paper City Paris! [...]

14. Rana
    January 7, 2012 at 1:10 pm

This is great. My 8 year old daughter wants to go to Paris. This is a close as she is going to get for a while. Maybe I will make one of our town. Thanks for the idea!

15. libbywilko
    January 7, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Thank you so much this is great ! Can't wait to print it for the kids... Maybe you'll do some other countries too :) maybe even Australia !

1. January 9, 2012 at 9:43 am

Thanks! And I did do this from Australia: http://madebyjoel.com/2011/03/paper-city-sydney-opera-house-and-luna-park.html

2. libbywilko
      January 11, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Thanks Joel ! Love these Sydney ones and thanks for the quick reply too.

16. January 8, 2012 at 5:32 am

[...] via: Travel Size Paper City Paris! | Made by Joel   ↓面白い!良かった!いいね!と思っていただけたら、「+1」「ツイート」「いいね」などをしていただけるととても嬉しいです! {lang: 'ja'} mixiチェック    Tweet   Follow @sumito [...]

17. January 8, 2012 at 11:31 am

As cute as the first set. Love it !

18. January 9, 2012 at 4:23 pm

[...] avant les histoires ! (avec du papier svp) Source [...]

19. Scott Putnam
    January 9, 2012 at 7:48 pm

I'm going to try this Paris cutout with my Granddaughter tomorrow. I'll bet she will love it! Thanks Joel.

20. January 9, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Opportune timing to check out this post. We're taking the boys out for dinner this week so will definitely be printing out a set of these to curb the dinner table fidgets. Will give us adults a chance to reminisce about Paris too. Double win!

21. shannon
    January 10, 2012 at 7:13 am

My 7 year old little girl will freak out! Thanks so much I am total making this for a small I love you gift!

22. January 10, 2012 at 7:14 am

I love this, if you didn't have an Altoids box would an empty CD cardboard sleeve work?

1. January 10, 2012 at 8:43 am

Thanks everybody! zombiemommysaves - Yes, it would definitely fit into a CD sleeve. I have a couple of other repurposed things that I used for additional sets. Like a tea tin, and a cool cardboard box that some soap came in. ha. You could even just slide the whole city into a pocket in your wallet.

23. January 12, 2012 at 10:13 am

Wow, such a simple and great idea. I love the black and white ;)

24. January 13, 2012 at 2:57 pm

[...] Make // Joel’s travel-sized Paper City Paris [...]

25. MGIHJT
    January 17, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I just made them with my 2 year old, she loved them. I'll probably have to make them again, though. Thank you!!

26. January 20, 2012 at 2:01 am

Hello Joel, I found your website in the Dutch magazine 101 Woonideeën (www.101woonideeen.nl), glad they published your site!! Beautiful ideas and decorations, I surely will download these Parisian profiles and work on it with my children. Thank you very much! Best regards from Belgium, Marjolijn

1. January 20, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Thanks Marjolijn. That's great you saw the Woonideeën article. Glad you found my site!

27. mirjam
    January 21, 2012 at 7:59 am

love love love it!!! Briljant!!

28. January 23, 2012 at 2:30 pm

[...] made by Joel makes the coolest kid creations! Click and print these right off his website, using a matte paper for best results. I love that you can store them in an old Altoids tin. Molly & Jane would love these in the car or at a restaurant. [...]

29. Caroline
    January 29, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Wow Im an 12 year old and whenever i baby sit i bring none of you project with me! it would be great to see more travel size stuff, i love it!

1. January 29, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Hey Caroline. Yeah, mini paris would be a good small project to bring for babysitting. Nice! I definitely have plans to miniaturize other things too, so keep on the look out. Thanks!

30. belén
    February 4, 2012 at 10:17 am

Me ha encantado encontrar tu página. Voy a ser una seguidora asidua. Muchas gracias.

31. February 6, 2012 at 6:06 pm

[...] on boingboing, this is a fun little papercraft set to make anywhere into a miniature Paris. I used it to cheer up my cubicle at work. Now, instead of [...]

32. holly
    February 9, 2012 at 8:47 am

Hi Joel! I have 3 little boys and we are all enjoying the daylights out of these little cities. LOVE it. I am going to suggest this as a project for my son's preschool class. Great stuff!

33. February 10, 2012 at 2:53 am

[...] uma versão miniatura de Paris, para levar para onde você quiser? É só imprimir e recortar essa versão-fofura de papel do made by Joel e começar a [...]

34. February 13, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I cannot wait to make the travel size Paris! I cannot believe how amazing your creations are, they are so inspired! I would love to provide miniature additions for children to use like some tiny scrap booking pieces to the set to extend it, like tiny jewels for the girl's dress, a tiny newspaper for the man . It is so delightful I want one just for me!! Your children are truly blessed to have such creativity flowing in their lives.They will be children to watch! I am a teacher and I live in Perth WA. I loved your Sydney version! WOW! Sue

1. February 13, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Hi Take back what I said! It is very tiny! I just printed it! So adorable! Now I am off to find a tin Sue

2. February 13, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Hi I mean take back what I said re jewel for the girl and newspaper They are teeny tiny Love it Love it Love it Sue

3. February 13, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Hi It is me again I pre folded all the pieces and then laminated them Now I will have them in a perfect state for years to come Thank you Sue

4. February 13, 2012 at 7:37 pm

wow, great ideas sue! awesome!

35. February 13, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Hi Last comment! I printed out another set of travel paris cards and with a brush that has about 10 hairs on it I did a wash of colours over the buildings and a little on the clothes! Thanks Sue

1. February 13, 2012 at 7:39 pm

very cool! I'd love to see the things you're doing with paris! feel free to upload photos on the facebook page if you'd like! https://www.facebook.com/madebyjoel nice!

36. February 17, 2012 at 3:48 am

This is stunning,and great fun to share! Kirsty x

37. Jen
    February 19, 2012 at 2:27 pm

My daughter is representing France for World Thinking Day in Girl Scouts. We were so excited to find these. The original version is going to really make her display stand out and we know that the girls will enjoy taking home the mini version. Thank you so much for sharing your creativity!

38. Rita
    February 23, 2012 at 12:39 pm

I love this! My boys, ages 7 and 10, and I are preparing to see my favorite musical, Les Miserables, next month. How fun to have some Paris landmarks to play with. I wish I was arty enough to make them some of the characters. We may have to make do with Lego minifigs.

39. February 25, 2012 at 5:27 am

Love love love the printable cities!! Just posted to Pinterest.

40. February 29, 2012 at 3:01 am

[...] can’t wait to print out this free travel-sized Paper City Paris printable for my daughter (@ made by [...]

41. Laurette
    March 1, 2012 at 8:48 am

Merci pour votre partage! J'ai envie de visiter Paris chaque matin avec ma tasse de the et croissant!

42. March 1, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Lovely work - thank you!

43. March 8, 2012 at 11:58 am

[...] had so much fun making the Travel Sized Paper City Paris, and couldn’t wait to make more mini toys for on the go. I was getting ready to miniaturize [...]

44. March 8, 2012 at 3:18 pm

[...] DIY projects for kids. We especially love his paper city printables. Last week we printed out the Travel Size Paper City Paris and my kids had a blast playing with [...]

45. barbara
    March 13, 2012 at 11:23 am

Cute cute cute !! I particularly like the boulangerie patisserie ! Just lovely Thanks !

46. March 15, 2012 at 9:32 am

[...] também dá pra imprimir o trabalho do norte- americano aqui para recortar e colorir. Tags: design, designer, Joel Henriques, papel, Paris. [...]

47. April 16, 2012 at 4:21 am

[...] For more photos, instructions, or printouts, visit the website here! [...]

48. April 17, 2012 at 2:16 pm

[...] magnífica idea de Made by Joel que no puedo quitarme de la cabeza. Sólo hay que imprimir, pintar (o no pintar), recortar, [...]

49. May 10, 2012 at 6:43 am

[...] For smaller fingers or smaller spaces, try: http://madebyjoel.com/2012/01/travel-size-paper-city-paris.html [...]

50. May 10, 2012 at 10:57 am

[...] Qué idea tan buena para jugar o decorar. Estas ilustraciones  recortables de  París son de Made by Joel y las puedes descargar gratis aquí. [...]

51. Catherine
    June 14, 2012 at 8:37 pm

These look so lovely. My children will love playing with these. Could you add London to your designs please. It would be perfect for the Olympics.

52. June 28, 2012 at 8:28 am

Joel, I am a stay at home and I run a small summer art camp from home. This year we are doing 2 weeks all about France and the French language. I found these and they couldn't be more perfect! Thank you so much!

53. Anna Rachel
    July 3, 2012 at 10:27 am

London, please! ;D

54. July 4, 2012 at 6:30 am

Oh! Lindo... maravilhoso!

55. July 10, 2012 at 3:54 am

Génial, je cherchais justement quelque chose à faire avec mes élèves de Français pour notre dernier cours avant les vacances. Ce sera parfait et en plus ils peuvent apprendre les mots des bâtiments en même temps! (j'enseigne à des petits anglais. Merci beaucoup.

1. July 11, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Cool, I'm glad you found it! Have a great summer holiday!

56. July 15, 2012 at 6:06 pm

[...] Made by Joel’s Printable Paris is just too delightful!!! [...]

57. Carolina Escobar
    August 6, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Love these...what an amazing teaching tool. Thanks for your delightful creativity, Joel. :)

58. October 4, 2012 at 1:49 pm

I've been following for a while but have neglected to comment. You have some of the coolest content on the web. It's fresh, it's interesting and I love that it's all about the little people! Thank you for making such cool stuff.

1. October 7, 2012 at 9:12 am

Thanks so much Amy! Very kind of you!

59. October 5, 2012 at 5:56 am

[...] This would be perfect for our long car ride this weekend. Check the whole site. It’s so cool! [...]

60. October 16, 2012 at 10:03 pm

[...] (source) [...]

61. October 20, 2012 at 12:50 am

Like like j'adore. C'est très ludidique!!!!

62. alex
    November 22, 2012 at 7:44 am

WOW! APYPET

63. Summer
    December 16, 2012 at 5:12 pm

This is wonderful! Thank you so much!

64. December 21, 2012 at 12:53 am

Incredible and lovely done! I've printed a sample for my son, he studies French (: Thank you very much for sharing!

65. January 1, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Love!! Thank you for sharing. My 7 year old daughter has just found a new love for Paris and the Eiffel Tower, she will love this. Found you from http://www.todaysparent.com/free-printable-toys Thanks!! Spring springtimetreats.blogspot.com

66. josephine
    January 17, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Thanks so much, Joel for the great worksheets! I used them to teach English to young Italian children in Rome. We cut out and glued the city to a long sheet of colored construction paper. Then students added their own special touch, by cutting the faces of the people and putting them in shop windows, letting the caravan drive uphill or having the people cross the street hand in hand while cars and trucks passed this way and that. Lots of imagination was used and they loved cutting and coloring and gluing the lovely scenes. I wish I could send attach a photo from this super lesson! Grazie mille!

1. January 18, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Hi Josephine. This sounds fantastic! I would love to see a photo. Maybe you could post one on the Made by Joel Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/madebyjoel

67. le monde d'Is
    January 18, 2013 at 6:39 am

hello !... j'avais découvert il y a quelques mois la ville de Paris, via Pinterest... et aujourd'hui, au gré de mes balades virtuelles, me voici ici... j'adore !... j'avais beaucoup aimé la première version mais celle-ci n'a rien à lui envier et elle est sans doute plus facile à utiliser pour les petites mains : merci de partager toutes ces merveilles !...

1. January 18, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Thank you!!

68. January 18, 2013 at 8:21 pm

[...] Também tem essas cidades de papel, que faremos: http://madebyjoel.com/2012/01/travel-size-paper-city-paris.html [...]

69. January 30, 2013 at 7:48 am

Awww that is SUPER cute (and free!!). I'm no longer 3-5 y.o. but I'll definitely print this for my 23 year-old-self! Thanks for sharing :)

70. artmomcg
    February 1, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Thanks SO much. So inspiring! So fun! I'm going to let my art club (grades 1-4) have a go at it. Maybe we'll dress up in berets and have croisants. The world is big and beautiful and it's great to explore, even from the artroom. Blessings!

71. February 4, 2013 at 7:18 am

[...] projecten en deelt deze op zijn website Made by Joel. Een leuk knutselproject is het maken van een papieren miniatuur-versie van Parijs (de stad van de liefde), inclusief de Eiffeltoren en Arc de Triomphe. Deze mooie illustraties, [...]

72. February 10, 2013 at 4:01 pm

[...] This adorable paper version of Paris is small enough to fit in your pocket. Get the free printables here. [...]

73. February 11, 2013 at 2:31 am

[...] otra idea es también un imprimible, lo podéis encontrar aquí . Podréis llevar una ciudad entera en el bolsillo para que puedan jugar e inventar historias en [...]

74. February 11, 2013 at 12:56 pm

[...] coloring activity, and I have to say the kids loved it! Artist and designer Joel Henriques, from Made by Joel  said we could share this with our readers (yipee!). Simply download the city scape below, color in, [...]

75. February 12, 2013 at 3:13 pm

[...] Se amate Paris e la vorreste tenere sempre con voi, stampate e montate questo semplice template disegnato da Joel. [...]

76. February 12, 2013 at 3:14 pm

77. February 13, 2013 at 11:31 pm

[...] ! Ludique et facile à transporter, ce joli kit est à télécharger sur le blog de la conceptrice, Made by Joel. À vos [...]

78. February 20, 2013 at 2:57 am

[...] aqui para baixar os desenhos feitos por Joel http://madebyjoel.com/2012/01/travel-size-paper-city-paris.html . Aprenda a fazer essa mini-Paris de papel e passeie pelas ruas da cidade [...]

79. RacheL H.
    February 28, 2013 at 9:17 am

Found this through Pinterest. It's adorable! Thanks so much!

80. Marie-Paule Cotie
    March 1, 2013 at 5:24 am

My daughter is studying school as part of French immersion program and this has provided the perfect setting for our french conversations! We have been having a blast creating shopping trips that almost always end with buying "les croissants au chocolat". Both my kids love how teeny tiny they are and I love how they fold up and fit into an envelope to travel with us. More please! A zoo version would be AMAZING! Also wondering if you do custom artwork? Wondering site bursting with ideas to keep my girls busy for the next few months!

81. March 1, 2013 at 7:46 am

[...] 28.  Need a little Paris in your pocket?  Enjoy the view with coffee.  Head here for the free download:  http://madebyjoel.com/2012/01/travel-size-paper-city-paris.html [...]

82. Dylan
    March 4, 2013 at 3:41 pm

This is so wonderful! I work as a social/emotional counselor in a French international school in the Midwest, and many of our students are from France. Some speak little to no English, and are very homesick -- I can't wait to add this little bit of Paris to my office to help them feel a bit more at home. :) Merci beaucoup!

1. March 4, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Ah, that sounds like a great use! Thanks for the comment Dylan!

83. March 4, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Thanks for all the kind comments everybody!

84. March 12, 2013 at 2:56 am

This is adorable! Going to give to my sis who dreams to visit Paris one day. Thanks for sharing:)

85. March 12, 2013 at 4:58 pm

This is the cutest thing ever. Thanks!

86. March 17, 2013 at 1:28 pm

[...] si può scaricare qui gratis. C’è anche la versione travel size Non manca poi la versione [...]

87. March 17, 2013 at 9:06 pm

[...] Paper City Paris from Made by Joel. Another great discussion prompt. We play with the paper city, we look up pictures online of the [...]

88. March 19, 2013 at 1:58 am

[...] Magnetic city or dolls.  I have a metal front door.  It’s awesome, because the kids can play with magnets [...]

89. March 20, 2013 at 5:47 pm

[...] solution for you like-minded Francophiles – Paris in a box!  You can find the template here (ici). Print it on a sturdy letter sized sheet of paper, cut it out and daydream away. Looks like the [...]

90. March 22, 2013 at 1:09 am

i love it!!! and i linked it in my post: http://samtundsahne.blogspot.de/2013/03/damals-und-heute-ein-faszinierendes-diy.html i used the car and the street light for my recent project!!! thank you so much!!! yours nancy

1. March 22, 2013 at 7:58 am

Wow, excellent project Nancy! Thanks for showing me!

91. March 22, 2013 at 10:36 am

[...] artist and designer Joel Henriques. I forget from which news feed on Facebook I got the link to the free template, but I owe that homeschool mom some thanks. Marguerite loves it and I also get to teach her some [...]

92. March 22, 2013 at 10:38 am

My daughter and I love it! Thank you so much! http://www.ourlemonadedays.com/homeschooling/on-y-va-a-paris-exploring-paper-paris

93. March 30, 2013 at 6:35 pm

[...] Make your own mini Paris with these gorge templates from Made by Joel [...]

94. April 14, 2013 at 9:10 pm

[...] home with an Eiffel Tower tote bag filled with matching notecards (thank you Target dollar spot), a travel size paper city of Paris to cut and color at home, and chocolate “bisous” [...]

95. April 23, 2013 at 10:32 pm

[...] Source: madebyjoel.com [...]

96. May 10, 2013 at 12:18 am

[...] (via http://madebyjoel.com/2012/01/travel-size-paper-city-paris.html) [...]

97. May 22, 2013 at 7:07 pm

[...] remember drawing cardboard doll cut-outs and dress them up by drawing paper dresses. So when I saw Joel‘s playful Travel Size Paper City Paris, I got nostalgic. They’re not paper dresses, [...]

98. May 29, 2013 at 6:17 am

[...] spied these printouts designed by Made by Joel and thought they’d be trè magnifique at a Paris Party. For an easy activity you can fill [...]

99. June 18, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Merci beaucoup! It's especially fabulous for a girl who was born and grew up in Paris ;-)